Complex of the prominent aristocratic familie of Kotor Bizanti is partly situated on the main city square - Square of arms and partly on the street that leads to the cathedral and the adjoining square. In fact, it takes up nearly an entire city insul. The oldest traces of  building within the palace are related to the Romanesque. However, most adaptation occurred during the 17th century, both in the external appearance of the facade, and in its interior arrangement.
The construction of the palace today, with annexes, is related to 1641. acording to archival sources. Significant adaptations had to be carried out after the great earthquake of 1667. Nikola Bizanti, the owner of that time, a the northern tract with a large, walled later, loggia on the first floor, and pointed at the front the family coat of arms, a lion on the go right over the three beams, and his initials "NB" with date: ANNO D. MDCLXXIII (1673).
The complex of the palace is concentrated around the inner open courtyard from which, the external staircase lead to the floors. The representative appearance of the building is completed by molded open, rich plastic decorations on the lintel of the main portal, and more modest internal portals. In the inner courtyard is a well with a richly decorated crown with an emblem in baroque cartouche. Before the World War II there was also a stone statue of the Venetian regent Pietro Duodo, erected by the citizens of Kotor in 1691.
The palace spreaded to the south, so that in its assembly entered the neighboring church of St. Nichola, from the 14th century, which was once the seat of Kotor seamen.
Montenegro Tourist Service
Mob: 00382 69 66 55 12,
Tel/Fax: 00382 20 511 200
payment methods
- bank transfer
- credit card